Thursday, April 30, 2009

Farewell, Oreo


I have made a few changes to this post. I was never happy with the last line of the limerick. I fought with it for two days, then gave up and posted what I had. Then, of course, a better line came to me today. I have also added a few other cats that Oreo probably knew from his blogging days that are at the Bridge with him now.

This is a really hard farewell post for me. I started reading Oreo's blog in September of 2006, right after I discovered kitty blogging. In those days there weren't nearly as many kitties blogging. I would go to Max's blog, then go down his blogroll. I could visit all the kitties every day. I fell in love with Oreo right away. He was such a sweetie and so very funny. The notebook I write all my limericks in has Oreo's picture on the front. I have a hoodie that proclaims me a proud member of Oreo's Posse. Oreo and I became good buddies and he and his Mom, Heather, kept encouraging me to start my own blog. I didn't know what I would blog about, because I don't have a cat. Eventually, I came up with the idea of Kitty Limericks. Without Oreo and Heather encouraging me so much, this blog wouldn't exist. Oreo was the first kitty that I wrote limericks about. He got two because I couldn't decide which one I liked better. I treasure Oreo's comments, especially the one he made on my limerick for Little Pink Pig, where he said he was laughing so hard he couldn't breathe. When Oreo's blogging tapered off, then stopped, I kept hoping that he would come back some day because I missed him so much. Now he has gone to the Rainbow Bridge and I really miss him. I know that he is having a great time there and I am sure that he has met up with Buzzerbee and Meep and Larry and Bonnie Underfoot and Norton and Trixie and Ayla the Grump and all of our other friends there.

                                           Oreo went to the Bridge on a cloud.
                                           Now he's running and playing and laughing out loud.
                                                    He looks down below,
                                                    Sees us weeping so,
                                           And says, "Don't weep for me.  I'm with my old crowd."

15 comments:

Susann said...

a beautiful limerick for a beautiful cat..

Spock said...

Oh Karen Jo, that am bootyfull. I don no wich I likes more, Tha tribute or tha limrick. Fanks you so much. We has missed bloggin but it am tha true furriends like you dat we has missed tha most. Momma wants you to emale her & her wants you to no her did get tha Christmas card you sended but it was alleady after Christmas when her gotted it. Her also wants you to no that her am furry glad you sayed somefin bout dat comment cause her had forgotted it so her wented back & readed it again & it maked her laff. Her needed dat. :)Fanks fur effuryfing.

The Meezers or Billy said...

Karen Jo, this was a beautiful tribute to one of our oldest and dearest furriends. We still cannot look at his pikshur wifout leaky eyes, but we knows that he is happy at the Bridge.

Noll's Nip said...

Karen Jo....what a lovely tribute to one of the patriachs of blogging cats. I only wished I had started blogging sooner to have enjoyed it. Oreo's Posse...how precious!

Anonymous said...

I never knew Oreo, but I know how hard it is to say goodbye to a dear friend. You love shines through in this lovely tribute and limerick.

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

We only met Oreo in the last week when he was so sick. It is very evident that he was loved bu one ans all by all the tributes posted for him!

L. Alida said...

Oh Karen Jo, what a lovely tribute to such a sweet kitty! I didn't get to know Oreo, but it's clear how much this kitty was loved. I'm so sad for his Mommy and sad that you have lost such a dear friend.
Gentle hugs,
Lorianna

Gemini and Ichiro said...

What a lovely tribute to Oreo

Dma said...

very sweet limerick. oreo sounds like he was a special cat.

Elin said...

Farewell Oreo.. As usual, it is very touching Karen..

xoxo

Jans Funny Farm said...

We really enjoyed Oreo's posts and kept going back to see if he was posting again. We're so glad his mom came back to let everyone know instead of just abandoning the blog when he got sick.

Beautiful tribute to your old friend.

Ivan from WMD said...

What a touching and sweet post. Oreo will be missed by lots of us. I'm glad he and his mom encouraged you to blog!

The Devil Dog said...

We are so sorry you have lost such a special friend. Do remember, that Oreo would want you to laugh not cry. And thanks to Oreo and Heather for encouraging you to start your blog. We certainly appreciate you.

Roxy & Lucky & mom

(angel) Grrreta and Fam said...

What a lovely trubute!

Curly said...

I think angel Oreo and his furmily must be very pleased with your tribute.