Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Abby


Here is Abby, looking sweet as can be.  I chose this picture because I love her beautiful amber eyes and her long white whiskers.  Abby is a Manx and quite small.  She only weighs four pounds at eight years old.  She is the oldest of the cats at Manx Mnews and the Alpha cat, though she was the last to be adopted.  I learned from reading about Abby that not only are Manx cats tailless, their internal structure is a bit different, making them a bit more high maintenance than "regular" cats.  Abby was in her first home for three years, but her people decided that they didn't want to take care of her any more, due to the extra care that she required.  They gave her to some neighbors, with whose six-year old Abby had bonded.  She stayed there for another three years, but the father of the family never really liked her and made the poor little girl take her to a shelter.  The problem this time was that she was too affectionate and wanted attention too often to suit him.  Her forever Mom saw her there and fell in love with her immediately.  This was a little ironic, as she had gone to the shelter to look for a cat with a long, floofy tail.  Abby was delighted to be out of the shelter, but not at all happy to find out that she hadn't been taken back to her little girl.  In time, though, a very strong bond has developed between her and her Mom.  Abby soon took over as Alpha cat, despite her small size, by being a no-nonsense type of girl.  She now gets along pretty well with the other cats, though she and Boo have frequent disagreements.  Abby can stop Ping and Jinx from play-fighting with a glare and an aggressive posture if she thinks they are getting too rough.  Abby never learned to play with toys, but she loves her cardboard scratcher and the nip.  She still tears around the house as if her butt were on fire on occasion.

                                        Abby is the Alpha Manx,
                                        For which the other cats give thanks.
                                                She can stop a brawl
                                                With effort so small.
                                        Abby really gets respect from the ranks.

18 comments:

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

That is a fabulous limerick for Abby! :) Perfect! :)

Gattina said...

I don't know for what reason I always believed that Manx cats are all grey ! I am back from one week holidays in Italy and from all my cats little Rosie missed me the most ! Now she is glued to me, lol ! My neighbor friend just across the street took care of them just like she did for the past 32 years !

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Imagine my surprise to see my darling little baby featured with such a wonderful limerick. I love it and so does Abby. She says I must print this out for her and she sends her fanks and purrs for making her feel extra special today. She's my sweetie!

Purrs
Abby's Mom Debra

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

That's a lovely limerick furr a lovely little girl.

Parker said...

Hooray! Abby is the bestest!

Diamond Emerald-Eyes said...

That is nice story. I am sorry bout her little girl, I know how it is to lose human you like. I am glad she find her furrrr-ever home.

Hot(M)BC said...

Aw, poor Abby. Some beans! Sheesh! She founded a great furever home at last tho!
Purrrrrrrrs,
Sanjee and the gang

Anonymous said...

Abby! It's wonderful to see you here!

DK & The Fluffies said...

Perfect for Ms. Abby!

The Devil Dog said...

What a great limerick. I think those other beans are just plain stupid. I wish that they could be given back, so they know what it feels like.
I am glad Abby is in her forever home.

Roxy

The Furry Fighter said...

sweet sweet abby!
my mum's god-mum used to have something to do with a manx cat shelter on the Isle Of Man...my mum has vague memories of spending days there when she was a child...learning about the rumpies and stumpies x

Mickey's Musings said...

That limmerick is perfect for Abby.
I agree with Hot(M)bc,Some beans!!
Probably not that Abby was too affectionate , but the male bean was not getting it!
Glad Abby is in the right home!!

MaoMao said...

Awwww, Abby sounds like such a sweet kitty! And I love your limmerick fur her. She sounds a lot like Marilyn in her purrsonality -- Marilyn is superduper affeckshunate, too!

Kittyhugs and purrs from MaoMao!

Anonymous said...

Abby is just precious -- I love her! And what a lovely limerick for her. I'm so glad she has a wonderful home where her loving nature is appreciated *smile*.

Purrs and snuggles from Marilyn!

Team Tabby said...

Thanks for visiting our blog. We liked reading about Abby and are glad things worked out for her. We bet the little girl misses her cat a lot though. We really enjoyed the limerick about Abby. now we're off to read some of the other limericks.

Moe & Mindy

Samantha & Mom said...

That's a beautiful limerick for Abby and it fits her so well! You are so good at capturing the essence of each cat with your limericks.
Your FL furiends,


PS: That lizard was rude and ran outside, but I got part of his tail. Samantha

Lux said...

I never realized Abby was so tiny! Four pounds is nothing at all!

I'm so glad she found a wonderful forever home finally, and I love her limerick!

Boy said...

Cool Abby! Alpha Manx!