Sunday, April 20, 2008

Snowshoe Siamese




I only know two Snowshoe Siamese -- Chairman Mao, in the top photo, and Spooky.  Spooky asked me to do a limerick on Snowshoe Siamese, so I did.  I didn't know much about the breed, but I have a couple of cat books and I looked it up.  The breed came about because purebred Siamese sometimes were born with white toes, which was considered a fault in cats put in shows.  Some people really liked the white toes, though, and crossed these Siamese with American Shorthair bi-colored cats, what we usually call tuxedo cats.  The result was the Snowshoe Siamese.  The typical Snowshoe Siamese has the color points similar to the traditional Siamese, but they have a white nose and mouth area and it is preferred that they have an inverted-V shape where the white meets the dark mask.  Spooky shows this quite well.  Chairman Mao's coloring conforms to what is called the "mitted" variation, I think.  Snowshoe Siamese are best known for their friendliness.  They get along well with other cats and  dogs and they love their humans.  They are also extremely playful and will stay very playful into old age.  This makes them great cats for multi-animal homes and they also make great cats for children.

                                    Snowshoe Siamese just love to play.
                                    They can chase a feather or a mousie all day.
                                              There's never a struggle
                                               To get them to snuggle.
                                    They love their humans aaalll the way.

23 comments:

ChrisJ said...

Bailey says, "I'm a Snowshoe too. Did you see me when you visited? I'm most easily found in the side bar, but I am on quite a few posts as well."

KC and the Giggleman Kitties said...

KC said...
O, that's furry clever.
Purrs, KC

The Misadventures Of Me said...

Mommy Bean says she learnedid somethings new today.

Snowshoe Siamese are furry pretty / handsome kittys. Nothing beats a snuggle any day!

Goldie, Shade and Banshee said...

Very nice!!! Those kitties are great!

Daisy said...

I think Snowshow Siamese cats are very beautiful!

Boy said...

What a gweat wimewick for such a wonderful bweed. And I think they're all the more wonderful because they're cwossed with us handsome tuxedos!

Sunny's Mommy said...

That is a great limerick for them. I think snowshoe siamese are very beautiful cats.

Lux said...

Lovely breed, I think ... and a great limerick for the Snowshoes!

Miss Kitty, NFC said...

Oh, I see my friend Spooky, how exciting! Snowshoe Siamese are very elegant....they like to play a lot, just like us NFC's too.

Now I will go visit Chairman Mao....I don't know him yet.

Miss Kitty

MaoMao said...

Wowie, KJ, how kool that you wroted a limmerick fur us Snowshoe Meezers! Thankies so much! You are furry right, we Snowshoes are super-playful and furry snuggly, too. I love snugglin with Mom and Dad, and when I'm in a snuggly mood, I say MAO MAO MAO MAO MAO MAO then I jump into their lap. And I love love love playin... my motto is "The whole wurld's my kitty toy!" And I love, love, love people and othur kitties.

I hadn't met Spooky, I'll go vizzit his bloggie and say hi! And there are three more Snowshoe Meezers that I know of onna kitty bloggiesphere: Toby Snowshoe and Java and Zed Monster. They're way kool, too!

Kittyhugs and purrs from MaoMao!

zevo hussein calamari said...

They are adorable! Thanks!

Only a few more hours to go.. you are still the lead for the highest bid for the earrings. Please let us know how to contact you if you win.

xoxoox

Tiger Lily said...

That is a lovely limerick for some lovely kitties!

Moki The Wobbly Cat said...

We love the look of snowshoe Siamese. Chairman Mao is prehaps our favorite! He is such a nice mancat. He hesitate to call him beautiful, being a mancat and at, but he is indeed very handsome!

Anonymous said...

Karen Jo, that is a wonderful lesson on Snowshoes, which we did not know, and a lovely limerick too!

The Devil Dog said...

Mom thinks Spooky is very handsome. What an interesting breed. Mom likes learning new things. What a great limerick. Thanks

Roxy & Lucky

Spooky said...

Aw, thanks, Karen Jo! I love your limerick about the Snowshoes and I especially love all the nice things you and your visitors said about us! I think Chairman Mao's mask makes him look especially mysterious!

Thank you so much! Now I have lots of other Snowshoes to visit!

Mickey's Musings said...

Cool Snowshoe information!!!!
I know Mao and I think he is pretty friendly :)
Purrs Mickey

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

Beautiful limerick! I am happy to see the Chairman featured - he and the Ballicai are good friends of mine. Snowshoe kitties are cuties!

The Cat Realm said...

Snowshoe Siamese seem to be wonderful cats! And Chairman Mao and Spooky just confirm that!
Mrs. OZ

Beau said...

You won a kitten squllion!! Please donate your $20 via Lilly Lu's paypal button, on the top (right) of her sidebar, on her blog. Then please email me confirmation by sending a copy of your paypal receipt. (Make sure it has your complete snail mail address on it.) As soon as I'm up to it (I've been sick) I will send your squillion to you. Thanks!!

Beau said...

You won a kitten squllion!! Please donate your $20 via Lilly Lu's paypal button, on the top (right) of her sidebar, on her blog. Then please email me confirmation by sending a copy of your paypal receipt. (Make sure it has your complete snail mail address on it.) As soon as I'm up to it (I've been sick) I will send your squillion to you. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Reall cool limerick for the Snowshoes. Did you ever write a limerick for us Himalayans? Some of us have showshoes too!

Tiria the Shadow Princess said...

I am a snowshoe Siamese too! See???
:)

Tiria
The Shadow Princess